Runaway Bay Things to Do
Runaway Bay, so called because the last Spaniards allegedly left Jamaica from here after their final defeat by the British is now a peaceful beach front village. Five villas are located in Runaway Bay, about 10 miles west of Ocho Rios. Runaway Bay is known for its powdery 3 mile white sand beach. Located just under a half an hour away from Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay shares the same attractions and activities.
View all Runaway Bay villas
- Dunn's River Falls - enjoy a guided climb up the world-famous falls.
- Dolphin Cove - great fun for all the family! Swim with the dolphins: one of the premier attractions in Jamaica.
- Fishing and Boating - the beach at Island Village offers a full range of activities.
- Mystic Mountain - Jamaica’s newest tourist attraction, Mystic Mountain (Rain Forest Bobsled Jamaica at Mystic Mountain), Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This new attraction comes to Jamaica courtesy of Rain Forest Aerial Tram, a nature-loving company that already operates similar outfits in Costa Rica, St. Lucia, and Dominica.
- Prospect Plantation - go horseback riding, or simply enjoy the tour of this working plantation.
- Golf - at the beautiful Sandals Resort golf course.
- Chukka Cove - a full equestrian complex, offering everything from polo to trail rides. They also offer mountain bike tours and river tubing.
- Green Grotto Caves - take an underground tour through these historic caves with a crystal-clear lake at the bottom located between Discovery and Runaway Bays. The first Jamaicans, the Arawak Indians (Tainos) found shelter in the caves initially. Proof of this is evident in the multiple fragments of pottery and adzes that are unearthed from time to time. During the period of take-over by the English, the caves were used as a hideout for the Spaniards who were being driven out of the country.
- River Rapids - Enjoy scenic waterfalls, splashing rapids, picturesque river pools, and even a private beach at Bengal Bay. All tours are accompanied by professionally trained and certified tour guides, who will be with you during your entire adventure to ensure that you are safe and having lots of fun.
- Sandals Golf & Country Club - located in the hills just above the eastern end of the Ocho Rios area, this course with its narrow fairways, offers a challenging test of your game in a spectacular setting.
- SuperClubs Golf Club Runaway Bay - part of the Breezes resort, offers a championship caliber, 18-hole golf course right in the middle of the Runaway Bay resort area.
- Firefly - Noel Coward's home in the hills above Port Maria offers one of the most spectacular settings, and possibly the best views in Jamaica.
- Fern Gully - drive through this 2 mile long ravine filled with ferns and other exotic vegetation.
- Coyaba River Garden and Museum - these gardens featuring lush tropical vegetation and the besutiful Mahoe Falls are a haven of tranquility in the foot hills above Ocho Rios.
- Shaw Park Gardens - stroll through this lush tropical garden located on the Ocho Rios Ridge overlooking the town. Highlights are the spreading banyan tree and the cascading streams running through the garden.
- L&M Meats - is your closest option for groceries. They accept VISA and MasterCards.
- General Foods and Progressive Foods- in downtown Ocho Rios are the two largest supermarkets in the area, and have the widest variety of products. They accept most major credit cards.
- The Ocho Rios Market - on the eastern edge of downtown offers fresh fruits and vegetables. This can be an interesting experience, but we recommend that at least on your first visit, you have your villa cook, or one of the staff accompany you.
- The White River - in Ocho Rios is a good source for fresh fish and possibly lobster. The fishermen sell their catch there in the mid to late afternoons.
- Island Village - is the newest shopping and entertainment complex in Ocho Rios, featuring a variety of stores, restaurants, night life and a movie theater.
- Taj Mahal - offers dozens of stores selling jewelry, clothing, souvenirs, cigars and other items.
- Ocean Village - in the center of town offers a variety of stores, banks and restaurants.
- Harmony Hall - exhibits and sells paintings and sculptures by top Jamaican artiest. Downstairs is the delightful Toscanini's Italian restaurant.
- Evita's - is the place to go for its fabulous view of Ocho Rios. The menu is a delicious and intriguing blend of Jamaican and Italian cuisine.
- Toscanini's - one of the favorite places to dine for both locals and visitors.
- Passage to India - Authentic Indian Cuisine, Tantalize your tastebuds with the exquisite flavours of sumptious Indian curries, tandoori specialties and Indo-Chinese fusion cuisine.
- Spring Garden Cafe - Ocho Rios Bypass Road, 795-3149. Just a short 5 minute ride to the east of Ocho Rios is this excellent restaurant and where the best of local seafood may be had for a reasonable price. The dining area is under roof, or on a patio where you can enjoy the night air. Their menu consists of many different types of seafood and other food. If you like steamed fish, ask for the Extra Large size and be prepared for a HUGE steamed fish placed in front of you done to perfection!